Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bumping into a star

I spotted him walking in Whistler Village, enjoying the sights.
I had the nerve to ask for an autograph and then worked it into a photo.
He was so nice! Turns out he grew up in Canada and he is here to enjoy the olympics
and has tickets to several events. He asked where I was from and where I was volunteering.
We talked for about 20 minutes, mostly about the tragic death on the luge just about an hour before we met. He was sincerely concerned and interested in the track. I had been up and down the track on my 1st few shifts, I am glad I had the day off when it happened. The latest news is that they are making modifications and building up the side of the track where he flew off. I have talked to a Volunteer that works with the World cup luge and at the Calgary Olympics, his opinion was that this was just a freak accident and that the looping that took place could happen anywhere on the track and if they built the walls up everywhere on the tracks, no one would be able to see the event. I hope they can protect the athletes and they rest of the games will go well.

No comments: